Recovering From Crash with Tandem with Sore Ribs

It’s been about 6 weeks since my accident with the tandem, where I suffered cracked ribs.  I fell on my right side, and getting in and out of bed was a painful ordeal.  In fact, I had to sleep in my lounge chair for about 3 weeks.  This is probably the most painful accident I’ve endured, only because it’s the ribs.  They take a long time to recover from.

The first few weeks, I couldn’t really do any sudden movements.  Any laughs or coughs would make it really painful.  Then, I suffered a cold and cough. which set me back some time too.

After a month, I was able to get some flexibility back, and was able to get back on the bike.  However, not only did I lose fitness, but my core strength was gone.

I got back with the Meetup group for a Sunday ride, and it was great to be back with the gang.  I was able to climb Old LA Honda, but the time was painfully slow.  I just barely made it in 40 minutes (15 minutes slower than my Personal Best).  I ride up with Rhysly, who was also recovering from her own fall in the velodrome.


For the 4th of July weekend, I went down to LA, and we had a ride going up GMR then to Baldy Village.  GMR was closed to car traffic, so I had to take advantage of this.  It was tough but I did make it up to the junction of GMR and GRR, and that’s as far as I would go.


I was at least able to revisit my favorite past time on these rides, taking in terrific views before heading down the mountain.


A few days later, I did some more climbing with my friends Ken and Vic in PV (Palos Verdes).  That was nice.  Short climbs, so that my endurance wouldn’t suffer too much, and of course, spectacular views.  We did around 40 miles that day, with about 3000 feet climbing, and I was still feeling the fatigue.

This past weekend, I did a climb up Redwood Gulch and onto Kennedy and Shannon in Los Gatos.  That was tough, and I could feel myself struggling to make it back .. Another 40 miler. 

I decided to try my hands at a longer distance, a 70 miler that my friend John was leading for Western Wheelers, going to Devil’s Slide bike trail.  The pace was easy going in the beginning which was good.  As with most rides to Pacifica and Half Moon Bay, fog could be an issue, and it was this day.  Too bad we really couldn’t see anything.



The hard part was climbing over Higgins, Lobitos, and Tunitas.  That really took a lot out of me.  I struggled through this, but wasn’t feeling the pain I thought I would.  Instead of lower back pains, my legs were feeling it.  This is different than before, and it seems that my climbing is coming back, but it is slower.

My friend Karen wants me to do Santa Cruz Mountain Challenge with her.  Last week, I would have said no way, but now, I might consider it.  I’ll have to do my Big Basin loop, and see how I feel there before I make a decision.

This entry was posted in cycling, ride report and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Recovering From Crash with Tandem with Sore Ribs

  1. The come back is always the hardest great work buddy keep it up!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s